I work on software to help people, for work, or both. My principles are:
- solve problems for people - especially by understanding things and making them simpler,
- keep learning - especially learning by trying, failing and succeeding,
- help others learn - especially the ones who love learning,
- habits over achievements - Value what I keep doing, not what I've done or achieved, and
- Feedback - listen and keep feedback loop tight.
Do you work with me? Have you worked with me in the past? I'd appreciate feedback, even anonymous.
I am vegan 🥕, love animals 🐕 and this planet 🌏 (nature, outdoors, cycling). Contact me if you have similar interests or are solving solve interesting and important problems, I'd love to help. My main driver in life is to help people and solve big problems.
final bensEmailAddress = "ben" + "@orth.uk";. *Join the 2 strings together (text within quotation marks), or
- Feedback form: Submit the feedback form with your message.
Talks/workshops I've given 🎙
- Talk: Adding offline support to Flutter apps, at DevFest London 2022, slides, demo app
- Talk: Docker and Docker Compose Basics, at Uncodebar in September 2022
- with an additional guide on Docker Compose for running projects locally
- Workshop: Building a realtime app whilst learning Flutter Fundamentals (links: slides) at Flutter Festival in March 2022
- Talk: Push notifications in Flutter (links: recording, slides) at GDGDevFest in January 2022
- Talk: Anonymous video calling app (links: recording, slides) at JSMonthly in August 2021
- Here's a Google Docs template for your own CV. Open it and click "File > Make a copy".
- Stack Overflow:
- Website code: Read the code for this website, and maybe use it to create your own.
I’m often torn between making things to help people and tinkering with tech. I design and build for change. I’ve worked on distributed systems, machine learning, 3D web, and mobile apps. I make apps, write on Stack Overflow (top 2%), give talks, write articles, & open source. I received dean’s list & distinction for computer science & engineering degrees. I don’t leetcode, I ChatGPT.
- Web: React, Three.js, Next.js, Astro, TailwindCSS, React Query, Flutter Web
- Mobile: iOS, Android, Flutter, React Native
- Infra & DevOps: Terraform, Docker/Docker Compose, Kubernetes, Helm, Spinnaker, AWS, GCP, Azure, Embedded devices (Microk8s), Cloudflare DNS, Github CI, Gitlab CI, linux networking
- What I want to learn: Kustomise, ArgoCD.
- Communication/serde: protobuf/gRPC, GraphQL, HTTP, tRPC, JSON
- Runtimes/languages: Dart, Python, Node/cloudflare-workers/typescript, Rust, Java, C/C++, Swift, Kotlin, Go
- Databases: PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Firebase Firestore, Realm, Hive
- Machine learning: Tensorflow, PyTorch